Coconut Burfi with Tropical Fruit chutney
1 cup roughly chopped mixed fruits (pineapple, oranges, grapes, dried red currants, blueberries etc)
1/3 cup sugar
To be mixed into a dry fruit stuffing
1/3 cup finely chopped dried figs
1/3 cup finely chopped pistachio
1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
1/3 cup finely chopped cashew nuts (optional)
1 kg granular variety khoya
200 gms castor sugar
150 gms desiccated coconut
Ghee for greasing
Desiccated coconut for coating
1. Combine the fruits and sugar in a broad pan and cook on medium flame till tender.
2. Mix well. Add little water if required to obtain smooth chutney consistency.
1. Crush khoya in a deep bottomed pan and add castor sugar. Mix well.
2. Cook on a slow flame till sugar dissolves. Note that this will happen quickly. Don’t overcook khoya.
3. Remove from flame and add desiccated coconut. Mix well.
4. Grease ring mould/ trays with ghee.
5. Set half the mixture in greased ring moulds or trays.
6. Spread the dry fruit mixture evenly on top and cover with remaining khoya coconut mixture.
7. Allow to set.
8. Once set, unmould (if using ring mould). If setting in trays, cut into uniform pieces.
9. Coat the burfi on both sides with desiccated coconut.
10. Grill on a hot frying pan to get a pale golden brown colour on both sides.
11. Serve immediately with tropical fruit chutney.